Sunday, February 9, 2014

I'm not a huge fan of non-fiction, but most of this book reads like fiction.  So many of the events are wild and unrealistic so they seem as if they never could have happened in real life.  This one man's story is pretty incredible.  It's an actioned packed book full of twists and turns, tragedy and triumph.

From the intense training of boot camp, to the crazy - insanely ludicrous Navy Seal training, I had no idea what some of our best soldiers go through to fight for our freedoms.  This guy is a die hard patriot through and through, and his spirit is infectious.  He is also very proud to be from Texas.  I really appreciated my freedoms and country better after having read this book.

Yet, being partly from Afghanistan, this book hit even closer to home with me.  Marcus got to see the ugliest side of Afghanistan in his encounter with the Taliban, but yet, he also got to witness a very beautiful side of the country's culture, tradition, and hospitality.  We aren't that bad of a people after all.  :)

It was funny, sort of, because he described himself as a religious person, and there are several reverent references to God - he even quotes Ps. 23 in the book, yet he was also very fond of the f-bomb.  The profane language was a little excessive at times, so proceed with caution.

Overall, it's an easy read, and one that is definitely worth the time if a medium amount of profanity doesn't bother you. If you are looking for a similar story with out the profanity, I highly recommend UNBROKEN - the true story of the life of Louis Zamperini.  It's an excellent read and one that can be recommended without any hesitations.


2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I've heard about this one, but never got around to reading it because, like you, I'm usually not into non-fiction, but I will move it up on the list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard great things about his book as well! We saw the movie a few weeks ago and it was INTENSE. Even with Marky Mark playing the lead role. :) I thought the same thing though….soooo many F-words in the movie. Although I'm sure it was pretty realistic, I thought the amount was unnecessary. Adding this and Unbroken to my never-ending list as well!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.